Wednesday 15 June 2011

The Big List

As I've been doing this blog for just under two months now, I thought it would be a good idea to do a bit of a round up of all the films I've seen so far. I've listed all of the movies I've reviewed below from best to worse (in my completely subjective opinion) - from absolute classics to utter bilge. It also shows which of the films graded say 7 were pretty close to an 8, and which of those were skirting on the brink of being awarded with a 6.

1. Taxi Driver (10/10)
2. The Shining
3. Hanna (9/10)
4. Paths of Glory
5. My Life As A Dog
6. The Social Network
7. Changeling
8. Sideways
9. Dogtooth (8/10)
10. The Last Picture Show
11. The Evil Dead
12. Four Lions
13. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
14. The Fog
15. The Sure Thing
16. Total Recall
17. Lilya-4-Ever
18. Trading Places
19. Beverly Hills Cop
20. 13 Assassins (7/10)
21. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
22. Lolita
23. Head-On (Gegen Die Wand)
24. Rio Bravo
25. A Nightmare On Elm Street 1
26. The Descent
27. Poltergeist
28. Spartacus
29. American Pie
30. The Haunting
31. The Day the Earth Stood Still
32. The Breakfast Club (6/10)
33. Kung Fu Panda 2
34. They Live
35. Fright Night
36. Saw
37. Meek's Cutoff
38. Iron Man 2
39. Caddyshack
40. Barry Lyndon
41. Thor
42. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (ANOES 7)
43. X-Men: First Class (5/10)
44. Scream 4
45. Vice Versa
46. The Secret of My Success
47. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
48. Funny People
49. Beverly Hills Cop 2
50. The Amityville Horror (4/10)
51. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (3/10)
52. A Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's Dead
53. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (2/10)
54. Birdemic: Shock and Terror (1/10)

So, looking through the 54 films seen so far, what trends have appeared? Firstly, I tend to give good marks to the majority of the films I've seen - only 5 movies scored less than a 5. I suppose this partly down to me generally finding something to like even in pretty average movies, and also because I usually only go to see films which I think I'm going to enjoy, whether that's at the cinema, or through LOVEFiLM.

The only movies to fail to make the threshold of a '5' were either (a) A Nightmare On Elm Street sequel which I felt obligated to see in the weekend where I was on a mission to see all the Freddy Krueger films back to back, or (b) Birdemic, which I was watching in anticipation of its being utterly terrible, and wasn't disappointed.

The vast majority of the other films I saw were films that I liked, but there were only a few which I felt were truly outstanding, and worthy of a mark above a 9. In fact, of those movies to score above a 9, only 2 were films which I was seeing for the first time - the rest were films I already knew I loved. So, congratulations are in order for Hanna and Paths of Glory, as the only 'new films' to reach the rarified heights of a '9' grade. I should also give an honourable mention to Dogtooth, which wasn't far off getting the same mark, but ultimately had to be satisfied with a high 8.

Anyway, that's about all I've been able to glean from my opening two months of movie blogging, but I shall return in a couple of months time to update the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment